I am Femen was recently added to Netflix and I promptly made time to watch it. I am Femen is a documentary about Femen, the Ukrainian activist group that promotes feminism and attempts peaceful topless protests against injustice caused by the patriarchy. This film is crucial for modern feminists, as well as those looking to broaden their horizons. IMDB says:
"A revealing look at FEMEN- the topless female activists who fight corrupt and patriarchal political systems in Kiev and all across Europe- as well as a portrait of the group's creative backbone, the bewitching Oksana Shachko."
Femen protests involve trademark flower crowns and free nipples which draw a stark visual comparison of the police dressed in riot gear attacking them. I highly suggest this film, as well as checking out Femen's website.
It Happened Here is a documentary about five students who survived rape during their time in college. Their stories are poignant and powerful, and the documentary traces their paths to becoming the activists they are now. It Happened Here focuses on how difficult it has been to make change in university policies to protect victims, as well as in federal courts. IMDB says:
"Through the intimate portraits of five student survivors, IT HAPPENED HERE exposes the alarming pervasiveness of sexual assault on college campuses, the institutional cover-ups and the failure to protect students, and follows their fight for accountability and change on campus and in federal court."
Though It Happened Here is a potentially triggering film, I would highly suggest it to those interested in rape culture, activism, or university policy. I would also suggest it to all students, educators, parents, and university officials.
Note: plot summary and photo from IMDB and not at all our own
It was very difficult to choose my favorite episodes of “Bob’s Burgers,” as they’re all very unique and hilarious. I based my favorite episodes on ones that I remembered the best, and that I would easily put on and watch at any given moment in time.
20. “Weekend at Mort’s” S1E11: “The family spends the weekend at Mort the Mortician’s while the restaurant is being de-molded, and Linda and Bob double date with Mort.”
19. “Eat, Spray, Linda” S5E18: “It's Linda's birthday, and Bob needs more time to plan her birthday surprise. But when he sends her out of the house as a distraction, she goes missing. Mayhem ensues as the Belchers must work together to find Linda.” (from Wikipedia)
18. “The Equestranauts” S4E17: “At a convention celebrating the magical pony cartoon series ‘The Equestranauts,’ Tina discovers that most of her fellow fans are grown men.”
17. “Boyz 4 Now” S3E21: “While accompanying Tina to a ‘Boyz 4 Now’ concert, Louise develops a crush on one of the lead singers, Boo Boo - and is in disbelief that she actually likes a boy!”
16. “Sexy Dance Fighting” S1E4: “When Tina develops a crush on the town’s new martial arts instructor, she joins the class and ends up shirking her responsibilities at the restaurant.”
15. “Mutiny on the Windbreaker” S3E4: “When Bob is invited to be a private chef on a docked cruise ship, he brings the family along to witness his skills outside of the restaurant.”
14. “Slumber Party” S4E9: “When her mother invites her classmates over for a surprise slumber party. Louise enlists Tina and Gene to help her find a way to send them back home.”
13. “The Kids Run Away” S4E19: “When she learns that Louise is hiding out from the dentist at her Aunt Gail’s, Linda bets she won’t survive the weekend with Gail’s daffy behavior.”
12. “Dr. Yap” S2E6: “When he inadvertently causes Linda’s sister, Gayle, to fall in love with him, Bob turns to his dentist, Dr. Yap, for help.”
11. “Bed and Breakfast” S1E7: “With a long weekend approaching, Linda sees an opportunity to capitalize on the tourist traffic by starting a bed and breakfast.”
10. “A River Runs Through Bob” S4E1: “The Belchers’ camping trip brings them closer to the wonders of nature, including white-water rapids and Bob’s troubled digestive system.”
9. “Dawn of the Peck” S5E4: “A wild bird attack causes chaos at the First Annual Fischoeder Turk-tacular Turkey Town Festival when Linda and the kids go there for Thanksgiving. Meanwhile, Bob is boycotting the holiday.” (from Wikipedia)
8. “Seaplane!” S4E3: “Linda enrolls herself and Bob in flying lessons, but she ends up going alone -- which her instructor, ‘Upskirt Kurt,’ doesn’t seem to mind.”
7. “Hamburger Dinner Theater” S1E5: “Bob lets Linda and the kids stage a murder mystery dinner theater in the restaurant, but an abrupt interruption changes the play’s direction.”
6. “The Belchies” S2E1: “When the kids go exploring inside a derelict taffy factory that’s slated for demolition, Bob must get them out before the building is destroyed.”
5. “Bad Tina” S2E8: “Hoping to impress Jimmy Pesto Jr., Tina starts hanging around with troublesome teen Tammy and soon lands herself in hot water.”
4. “Full Bars” S3E2: “The Belcher kids break their Halloween tradition by ditching their usual trick-or-treating route and venturing off to Kingshead Island, a posh neighborhood that is known for distributing full-sized candy bars.”
3. “O.T. Outside Toilet” S3E15: “In an homage to E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Gene finds an expensive talking toilet and befriends it.”
2. “The Oeder Games” S5E21: “With the threat of a rent increase on Ocean Avenue, Bob and the other tenants rebel. After approaching Fischoeder, the tenants find out that they will have to compete in order to convince him to keep their rents reasonable.” (from Wikipedia)
1. “Art Crawl” S1E8: “When Linda asks Bob to let her sister hang her paintings in the restaurant for Art Week, Bob is forced to contend the city’s Art Council.”