I always write resolutions for myself at the end of the year, but I never seem to keep them past January. As always, I hope this year is different. Here are my 16 resolutions for 2016. What are yours?
1. Be more sustainable - Waste less, recycle more, and think about the long-term impact of your actions.Recognize that you don’t need to drive everywhere, you don’t need to keep upgrading your phone, and you don’t need to leave the light on while you’re in class.
2. Be more local - Try to support local businesses over large corporations and companies. Give your money to businesses that really value it, and stop going to Walmart so often.
3. Be more aware - Make an effort to volunteer more and give back. Get involved in your community.
4. Be more present - Live in the moment and stop checking your phone. Your messages will still be there when you’re done.
5. Be more positive - Stop the spread of hate and fear, and make an effort to be more optimistic.
6. Be more adventurous - Go outside of your comfort zone and try something new.
7. Be more assertive - If you want something, ask for it. If you want to do something, do it. Don’t be so hesitant and reach for what is yours.
8. Be more open-minded - Judge less and understand that everyone has their own internal (and external) struggles.
9. Be more accepting - This applies to other people as much as it applies to you. Accept yourself for who you are and learn to be happy.
10. Be more healthy - Get more than 5 hours of sleep in a night, and work to establish a regular and consistent sleep cycle.
11. Be more motivated - Stop procrastinating on tasks you’re supposed to do; get that paper written more than a week in advance, make that phone call before 5pm, and send that e-mail sooner rather than later.
12. Be more knowledgeable - Improve your French and Spanish language skills, and try to use Duolingo more than three times a month.
13. Be more outdoorsy - Spend less time inside and more time outside (when possible). You still have so much more to see that can’t be experienced from inside your house.
14. Be more active - Make a difference and make the world a better to live. You don’t have to change the world for everyone, but change the world for someone or something.
15. Be more confident - Be more confident in yourself and who you are. Be sure of yourself, stand by yourself. See your worth.
16. Be more focused - Focus on the new year and focus on what you want out of it.