I’m a huge fan of Nicki Minaj; her music, her personality, her values, everything! I absolutely love her. Not only is she an incredible female rapper in an industry dominated by men, or a successful WoC in the female music industry dominated by white women, but she’s also very driven and level-headed. She’s succeeded in an industry designed to keep her down, and I admire that very much.
I can assure you that there are more than 10 reasons to love Nicki Minaj, but I figured a shorter list would be more powerful than a longer one. So here are 10 reasons to love Nicki Minaj.
1. While I’m not a fan of girl-on-girl hate (especially between celebrities and especially when the media is involved), I did like how Nicki stood behind her statement about why her video “Anaconda” (which celebrates the black female body instead of the white female body) wasn’t nominated for video of the year , when confronted by Taylor Swift. Nicki handled the situation very well, not naming names but still holding Swift accountable for misunderstanding the tweet (which, to Swift’s credit, she did apologize for later on and all was forgiven between the two).
2. Nicki realized the value of a college education, and often tells her fans to stay in school and further their education as much as they can, because she never had the opportunity to go to college.
“If you have the opportunity, go to college and forget these little boys out here that are trying to get in your pants.” - Nicki Minaj
3. Nicki is an excellent rapper, and doesn’t need to demote women to do so. Her verse in “Monster”
(by Kanye West and also featuring Rick Ross, Jay-Z, and Bon Iver) proves she is one of the best rappers out there.
4. She believes women should feel empowered and in control of their lives. She also called out the double standard between bossy men being “bosses” (a positive connotation), and bossy women being “bitches” (a negative connotation).
“I just want women to always feel in control. Because we’re capable, we’re so capable.” - Nicki Minaj
5. She’s a good role model for little girls because she shows them how powerful dedication, motivation, and believing in yourself can be.
“I want to show little girls that the possibilities are endless. That’s my goal, to not only do it for myself, but to show them I can do whatever I put my mind to.” - Nicki Minaj
6. A few years ago in 2011, Nicki went on Ellen and rapped her song “Super Bass” with the adorable British mini-duo Sophia Grace and Rosie. If you haven’t seen the video
check it out right now, it’s too cute not to! (And she told the two to stay in school, as per usual; “Music is beautiful, but I want you to stay in school. Put your books first and singing second”).
7. Nicki and Queen Bey are best friend goals. When they work together, the end results are always perfect. Source? Try a live version of Beyonce’s ***Flawless
featuring Nicki, and the video for “Feelin’ Myself” the two made off of Nicki’s latest album.
8. Nicki also made a killer video with friend Cassie for their song “The Boys”
And while it isn’t my favorite song, the two are definitely spreading some real bad girl vibes.
9. She understands that you don’t have to be perfect and you don’t have to be everything you’re expected to be.
“When you’re a girl, you have to be everything: you have to be dope at what you do, but you have to be super sweet, and you have to be sexy, and you have to be this and you have to be nice, and you have to- it’s like I can’t be all of those things at once. I’m a human being.” - Nicki Minaj
really was a break-through video, that went from objectifying black women to empowering them. Nicki shows through her video that it’s okay for women to look and act sexual, especially black women (who are more often than not exploited in the music industry).
(NOTE: All pictures were taken from Nicki’s Facebook, since none of us know her personally)
(ADDITIONAL NOTE: All quotes were found via tumblr, and may not be linked to their initial interviews. We did not conduct the interviews, and are in no way associated with the conductions of the interviews, because again, we do not know Nicki at all).